The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

HOSA spikes tension among competitors

HOSA – Future Health Professionals
HOSA – Future Health Professionals

HOSA is having its 2023 regional competition this Saturday December 9. With Novi being the largest school at regionals, states, and nationals, the school takes great pride in the club.

HOSA stands for Health Occupations Students of America and focuses on students who want to pursue a career as health professionals in various medical fields. HOSA consists of a total of 67 different team and individual events that students can compete in.

With 469 students participating in HOSA, many students have different strategies as they prepare for competition.

Junior Rithika Jala, who joined the club this year, has been using online tools to practice for her event.

“I’ve been using a Quizlet to memorize vocabulary for a test that’s in my event, CPR/First Aid and performing two skills with my partner, until we can be fully confident for regionals,” Jala said.

Adding to students’ focus is the knowledge that only the top 7 in each event can make it to states. This is a big change compared to previous years with last year being top 8, and the year before allowing top 10. This creates some pressure on competitors to make the cut.

“I cry myself to sleep every single night. I really want to get top 3 at regionals and better make it to states,” junior Aditi Akerkar said. “While I’m obviously nervous, I am also excited for competition day.”

While competitors are getting fired up for regionals, so are those that are a part of the HOSA executive board of officers.The board is in charge of the Schoology group that sends out information and reminders for all of the important details to know. They are responsible for organizing the club’s information and reaching out to help members who have questions or concerns.

Junior executive officer Safa Hussien, who has been in the club for three years, is nervous but confident about Novi’s abilities.

“With 13 teams for Novi competing and many other talented teams from other schools, I am confident in my partner and myself on our skills to place in the top 7,” Hussien said.

Many enjoy the competition, learning new information and working with others.

“My favorite part of HOSA has been the meetings because you get to hangout with your friends while getting everything done and moving forward together,” sophomore Trisha Demapure said.

As the HOSA season begins, many competitors are optimistic for what the season brings for them, hoping for a successful season.