The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

Construction Career Days Field Trip opens new pathways for students

Frankie Schmid
An NHS student tinkers with the sheet metal compressor.

On May 1, the Construction Career Days field trip took place in Howell. After the excitement of the false fire alarm before school began, more than 40 Novi High School students boarded the bus to participate in various activities, including operating heavy construction machinery, and creating crafts using metal sheet working. 

During the first phase of the trip, students were allowed to operate vehicles such as cranes, excavators, paving trucks, steamrollers, and even a wrecking ball. Later in the day, during the second phase, attendees were transported to an indoor section, where Governor Gretchen Whitmer was touring the event. During the second phase, students visited booths to explore different career opportunities, and were able to participate in demonstrations for different jobs, such as roofing, carpentry, and metalworking.

Construction cranes at the scene (Frankie Schmid)

Each student was given a hardhat and a drawstring bag filled with some refreshments and utilities, and sent off to go discover new opportunities.

“I do feel that the Michigan Construction Career Days field trip has allowed students to explore other options,” said Jennifer Kerbrat, the career supervisor and organizer of the field trip. “Every year, we have more and more students choosing to go into the trades apprenticeship programs. Many have been very successful and they were exposed to their new career on this field trip.” 

A Cat’s Eye News crew also attended the site. Students spent about an hour and a half operating the excavators, steamrollers, cranes, and more, before making the drive to the main building. “I think the event was an informative learning experience and helped to outline some useful job opportunities,” said junior Blake Goudy. “I already had a career idea in mind, so I wasn’t inspired to go into the field, but I would recommend it for people who are interested in construction and engineering.”

Along with operation of real machinery, simulations of real construction action were also available for participation. The field trip lasted around five hours, and the bus arrived back at school at 2:00 p.m. on the dot. Overall, the Construction Career Days field trip was incredibly informative, and anybody interested in the construction and engineering field should certainly attend it next year.