The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

MiCareerQuest provides benefits to students

Photo courtesy of Oakland County blog

MiCareerQuest is a field trip that gives students the opportunity to learn a little more about different jobs and also allows students to try these jobs, hands-on. MiCareerQuest will take place at the Suburban Collection Showplace on Nov. 14, 2023.

MiCareerQuest is broken into three sessions. Students start off by exploring healthcare, then manufacturing and construction management, and then they get to network and meet people in professions that later on could help them find a job.

Different hands-on jobs MICAREERQUEST allows students to check out. (Candice Mansour)

Jennifer Kerbrat, K-12 development facilitator for the district, is leading the field trip in order to give students a chance to explore careers that may be hard to job shadow otherwise.

“This is the only career fair that we’ll be having for Novi High School. It’s a way of not only networking, but also trying hands-on and seeing some of the different types of jobs that they are currently interested in,” Kerbrat said. “Some of the fields, especially healthcare, are very hard to do job shadows with. At least trying this out for a little while will give them a sense of whether they really like the job or not.” 

MiCareerQuest also allows students to look at what classes they should take to prepare for potential careers.

“It’s free to try them in high school, you have to pay for them later on in life. So, why not try some of the classes and the things that you’re interested in now, while you can,” said Kerbrat.