The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

Building changes color, opinions vary

Addison Darnell
The new concessions area offers better bathrooms, clothing store, more space for people, and a cleaner look. It opened up on October, 13th for the home game against Northville.

Over the last couple of months, sections of Novi High School have been updated – whether that’s new paint inside the school or the exterior or the new concession area.  The new concessions area was opened on Friday, Oct 13, for the home game against Northville. This brought a lot of attention to the area during the game. 

One major change has been the new exterior gray paint on the athletic side of the school. Many students have mixed emotions about how the new paint looks.

Sophomores Mallory Story and Tessa Taulbee like how the gray looks.

“It’s intimidating for the other teams that come to our field and it’s a very bold statement, but I like it,” Taublee said 

At this time only a small section of the school has been painted to match the new look of the concessions building. 

Some students have mixed reviews about the looks of the new gray paint of the school. Watchowski mentioned how he does like it and hasn’t really been getting the best feedback from it. 

“It’s gonna flow nicely. I haven’t had a lot of positive feedback about it. I think initially, it’s like, whoa,” Wachowski said.

Student opinions varied on whether they should continue the painting throughout. 

Sophomore Cara Tortelli thinks the project will look better once it’s completed.

Making the school all math will make it look fresher and flow more neatly. 

“I mean, it looks fine for now but if you’re looking at it from the back side of the track, you can see the unpainted part of the school and it looks funky. So I feel like they have to go all in,” Tortelli said. 

However, Taublee thinks differently than Tortelli’s view on the new design. 

“I think they should leave it as one section because it’s your football field,” Taulbee said. “So it’s intimidating for the other teams. If the whole school is painted dark, I feel like that’s too bold. 

Normally with remodeling, it’s to get a more modern feel, feel cleaner, or look better compared to others. 

What’s the main goal of the renovations? 

“It’s an upgrade of course, overall,” Watchowski said. 

Watchowski also believes that the renovations are a good way for people to remember the time they spent at Novi for sports or school. The experience will be much better for all the viewers at sports events. 

“And so we want when people show up here, we want them to remember the time they spent at Novi we want them to have a great experience not only in the game, their in-game experience, but also you know, the things like the facilities,” Watchowski said.

In the end, the overall goal is for the concessions building and the school to flow together instead of one building standing out.

As a gift to those attending Novi in the future, the senior class of 2023 decided on a refund for the bathrooms. The school painted them gray, white, and green. 

Taublee mentioned the school spirit this new bathroom change gives off. 

“I like that it’s very on-brand for school spirit because green and white are our colors,” Tauble said. 

Stoy had a similar thought to Taublle, on how it’s more relevant to Novi and how having these colors can show off school spirit. 

When other students from other schools come here for sporting events use bathrooms they want a clean area to use, so with the update, students may feel the cleaner idea and also enjoy the school spirit. 

“I like how the paint looks in the bathroom,” Tauble said. ”It’s nice how it shows off the school colors.” 

Watchowski mentioned how one true goal was to become the best facility in the area. 

“We want to have the top facility in the area That’s our goal just like we aspire to have the top coaches and the top program.”