The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

The new era of streaming services

DVDs are now a thing of the past. Instead,  people pay a certain amount of money to have access to movies and shows that are in a media company’s catalog. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video were the first companies to offer streaming services.

Other companies wouldn’t just stop and appreciate this new invention. Disney, Warner Bros., and others started their own streaming, creating a big competition. While companies  fight to feature movies and shows  in their catalogs, guests try to subscribe to the streaming service with the best catalog and best monthly price because of economic limitations.

Max first launched (as HBO Max) in the United States on May 27, 2020. At that time people were at home searching for what to do in the middle of a pandemic. The streaming caught the attention with the whole “Harry Potter” series in the catalog. The companies involved are  Warner Bros, Discovery Channel, HBO, CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Animal Planet and Eurosport. 

Including “Lord of the Rings” and DC comics productions, Max is a big adversary to Netflix that used to be the number one of everyone. Max also has a lot of horror movies in the catalog like “Scream” and “Friday the 13th”. It also has a good organization in the app; people can find things easily on the TV and watch in their cell phones everywhere. Compared to the others, Max has the most expensive ad-free subscription.

Netflix, the most popular and the original with 260.28 million subscribers, had a significant growth in the pandemic. The streaming service has its own productions, most of them focused on teenagers. An example of a Netflix production is “Stranger Things”, which was a pop culture phenomenon in 2019 and got a lot of fans. Netflix has a lot of new movies too like “Anyone but you” that was really popular on TikTok, and consequently out of it, went directly to Netflix.

Amazon is a big company that has literally everything that people can think of, so why not enjoy the streaming business? Old just like Netflix, Prime Video launched in 2006. Prime focuses on adaptations of books and other arts, like “Red White Royal Blood” and “The Summer I Turned Pretty”. It has good productions like “The Boys” and “Good Omens” that attract people to subscribe to the service. Prime also has a system to rent or buy movies. Rent a movie, the person has 30 days to watch and if they press the start button, it reduces to 48 hours to finish. A good point of Prime Video is that it is really cheap.

Disney can’t be out of this competition. In November of 2019 the streaming that contains Marvel’s and Star Wars’ productions was a huge rival for the others. It was a good idea to start shows and spinoffs for two huge companies. Having all those fans needing to subscribe to the service was smart, but when Disney started to make some productions for Disney Plus, some people did not like it. Disney Plus also has a good plan with Hulu. 

Gathering the most famous streams, the conclusion is that people should sign up for the streaming service based on what they like to watch and how much the service costs. All of them have their own pros and cons.