The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

2024: A ‘grande’ year in music

After drought in the music industry, artists come back stronger than ever
People Magazine
Ariana Grande performs songs from her latest album on Saturday Night Live.

It seems that the stars have finally aligned for music enthusiasts all over the world. From new albums to upcoming concert tours, the music industry is filled with creativity and inspiration.

Eternal Sunshine, The Tortured Poets Department, Hit Me Hard and Soft, and Radical Optimism album covers.
(Genius, Wikipedia, The Harvard Crimson)

Eternal Sunshine, Cowboy Carter, The Tortured Poets Department, Hit Me Hard and Soft, and Radical Optimism: all albums soon to be or already released this year. Though it sounds like a lot, Ariana Grande, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, and Dua Lipa are only a few of the outstanding artists who have or will publish new music in 2024.

Ariana Grande’s comeback album, Eternal Sunshine, beautifully explores the tumultuous waters of her divorce with Dalton Gomez and her struggles with the mass media through amazing melodies, harmonies, and arrangements. Grande also presents her new style of music to the world, gorgeously co-producing and writing all of the songs in the record. The 13-tracks-long piece embodies R&B, pop, soul, and house–creating a never-seen-before type of CD in her discography. The #1 spot on Billboard Hot 200, the 84/100 score on Metacritic, and not one, but two #1 singles (‘yes,and?’ and ‘we can’t be friends (wait for your love)’) in the Billboard Hot 100 prove how successful this new-born era already is.

Cowboy Carter, by Beyonce, is the second piece in a trilogy of records, following “Renaissance.” Bey’s country era began once the album’s lead single, “Texas Hold ‘Em”, was released, and all over TikTok. Engaging the listeners in a sonic journey, Queen Bey brings guitar riffs, soulful vocals, and enchanting harmonies together, creating a mix of various genres (country, opera, pop, hip-hop and R&B), gracefully embodied in 27 different tracks, featuring artists like Miley Cyrus, Post Malone, Dolly Parton, and many others. The record tops the Billboard Hot 200, got an impressive 92/100 score on Metacritic, and also acquired a #1 hit, “Texas Hold ‘Em.” 

Taylor Swift’s new album, The Tortured Poets Department, only comes out on April 19 and is already tipped to win the Grammy’s Album of the Year award. Known for her songwriting skills, Swift is expected to deliver the public nothing but poems in the shape of music. ‘Swifties’ hope for Blondie’s 17-tracks-long record, which features Post Malone and Florence + The Machine, to deep dive into her break-up with Joe Alwyn, and new relationship with Travis Kelce.

Billie Eilish’s Hit me Hard and Soft comes out on May 17. However, her marketing strategy began way before that. Eilish surprisingly added every follower of hers to her close friends list on Instagram, attracting new people to watch her big reveal. Eilish impressively earned more than 2 million followers in just one day. The 10-tracks-long record is expected to be as great as her previous CDs, hitting the fans ‘hard and soft’ with what are assumed to be wonderful lyrics and melodies. 

After the huge success of her previous record, Future Nostalgia, Dua Lipa is back more than ever. With three singles from her newest era (‘Houdini’, ‘Training Season’, and ‘Illusion’) already out, Dua’s upcoming piece comes out on May 3 and is supposed to follow the same path as the released songs: pop, electronic, and fun to dance to. Lipa performed two of the three tracks (‘Houdini’ and ‘Training Season’) at the 66th annual Grammy Awards, giving a seductive performance involving her charming vocals and energetic dance crew.

However, not only of albums the music industry is made. From stars like Olivia Rodrigo and Madison Beer to Bon Jovi and Andrea Bocelli, all types of singers are currently on tour around the world.

Olivia Rodrigo, Madison Beer, Jon Bon Jovi, and Andrea Bocelli on stage.
(Rolling Stone, X, PBS, BIllboard)

The Guts World Tour is the ongoing arena tour by the young singer-songwriter and actress Olivia Rodrigo for her second studio album, Guts. The worldwide famous tour began on Feb. 23, in Palm Springs, and is supposed to end on Aug. 17, in Inglewood. The tour includes 77 shows through North America and Europe, with The Breeders, Chappel Roan, PinkPantheress, and Remi Wolf as opening acts. 

Madison Beer’s The Spinnin Tour is the ongoing tour by the singer-songwriter in support of Silence Between Songs, her second studio record, and carries its opening track on its name. Even though it isn’t an arena tour, it is a huge voyage for Beer, beginning on Feb. 24, in Stockholm, with shows across North America, Europe, and Asia. 

29 is not enough! Jon Bon Jovi celebrates his 30th year on the road this year, with a brand new production. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready to sing your lungs out at The Bon Jovi Experience. The show’s setlist includes lifelong smash-hits such as ‘Livin’ On a Prayer’, ‘Always’, ‘You Give Love a Bad Name’, and many more, guaranteeing the public a fun night out whether you’re a fan for years or weeks. 

The Italian icon, Andrea Bocelli, also makes his way into a fun time with his fans. Hosting his 2024 world tour, Andrea Bocelli In Concert, Bocelli is performing in various locations, including Detroit, Barcelona, Dubai, and more. The tenor joins different orchestras worldwide to perform the best of his hits, such as ‘Time To Say Goodbye’, ‘Vivo Por Lei (I Live For

Eternal Sunshine, The Tortured Poets Department, Hit Me Hard and Soft, and Radical Optimism album covers
(Genius, Wikipedia, The Harvard Crimson, )Her)’, ‘The Prayer’, and many others.   

In 2024, brace yourself for a whirlwind of musical excitement. With albums dropping, singles hitting the charts, and concerts popping up left and right, the year promises to be a wild ride.

View Comments (1)