The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

Teens make predictions on upcoming “Inside Out” sequel

Disney
Coming to Theaters the summer of 2024: Inside Out 2.

In the summer of 2015, we all sat down in movie theaters and watched an amazing movie made up of various emotions: Inside Out, directed by Pete Doctor. Inside Out tells the story of 11-year-old Riley Anderson who is having a great life until her parents decide to move to San Francisco because of her dad’s job. Riley’s life starts going downhill as she tries her best to fit in. Meanwhile, the emotions inside her, Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger, and Fear also have a lot of problems inside their headquarters. Later when Joy and Sadness get vacuumed up into long-term memory, it’s up to  Disgust, Anger, and Fear to help Riley fit in with her new lifestyle in San Francisco. 

Now eight years later, Pixar has released a new trailer for Inside Out 2, featuring new emotions and a new change in lifestyle for Riley who’s entering puberty. This is where the new emotions Anxiety, Ennui, Embarrassment, and Envy show up. You can tell by these emotions that Riley will go through some tough times. For example, Anxious could “drive the console” when Riley feels worried about her exam the next morning. Ennui could be responsible for Riley feeling bored and kind of annoyed. Embarrassment could be used when Riley accidentally trips on the ground in front of her crush or a group of people. Envy could spread its wings and make Riley feel less confident in herself because one of her friends got a better grade than her. 

Before another movie for Inside Out was announced, fans had already started making videos and theories about how Inside Out 2 may play out. Of course, this is because at the end of Inside Out when everything gets fixed, headquarters is redecorated and the consoles have a few new gadgets, one of them being a bright red button that says PUBERTY. Disgust, voiced by Mindy Kaling, asks Joy, played by Amy Poehler, what puberty means and Joy responds that they don’t need to worry about it right now. So fans have thought that there would be a sequel for the movie in a few years or so. Some are saying that Riley might be in middle school and find a love interest, possibly with the guy with the black curly hair that appeared in Riley’s hockey game at the end of the movie. Others guessed that there would be new emotions. Anxious, Ennui, Embarrassment, and Envy were some of the suggestions, but people also thought love would be an emotion because Riley is starting to grow up and gain these weird feelings. Fans also thought that other emotions, those that couldn’t be put in the first movie would make an appearance. 

Sophomores Averi Moncrief and Mahalakshmi Sridharan and Junior Sol Madu all shared thoughts on Inside Out 2 which comes to movie theaters in the summer of 2024. 

“My favorite part of the first movie was how they portrayed the characters, especially Disgust. I wasn’t really expecting a second movie at all. The recent trailer was pretty funny. I think it’ll do pretty well in theaters this summer,” Moncrief said. 

Madu explained that they really enjoyed the movie, didn’t remember much about the movie, but they really liked the interactions between Joy and Anger. 

“I wasn’t expecting a second movie, so I was pleasantly surprised,” Madu said. “I liked the trailer. And judging by Disney’s track record of their recent movies (Wish and Strange World) I’m very worried that they’re going to botch the execution of this very cool theme.” 

Sridharan said that her favorite part of the movie was the ending when Joy realized that Sadness is also important in life. 

“Inside Out was a very good heartwarming tale. I wasn’t expecting the second movie at all, but I’ll take it. I think it’s interesting and cool that now we can add emotions that most teenagers have. I think it’s going to be a 50/50 review like some people might like it and some people might not,” Sridharan said. 

When the audience makes predictions most of the time they’re wrong.  For example, when Frozen 2 was announced and in the works, people thought that Elsa was going to get a love interest, but that didn’t happen. Instead, Elsa and Anna ended up finding out more about their parents’s deaths. That’s why Sridharan said that the ratings might be a 50/50 review. Some people just know that there’s going to be a second movie and don’t make any theories about it, while other people get this excitement when they know there’s going to be a sequel or a movie. They will immediately come to conclusions. A lot of people want Riley to find a love interest in the new movie; this may or may not happen. Frozen is just one of the movie theories many people have out there. People will predict the impossible. Elsa and Anna are great sisters if Anna were to get fire powers wouldn’t that ruin their relationship?

With Disney’s unfortunate loss of money and viewers because of restructuring charges, Pixar isn’t so far off from getting unlucky too. Even though Inside Out surpassed 8 million dollars at the box office, its sequel may not do so well.

The Inside Out characters with some new emotions will be back up in theaters before you know it. The summer of 2024 isn’t that far away! Go watch the adventures of Riley and your favorite emotions, Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust, and other new emotions in theaters in the summer of  2024!