The Wildcat Roar

The Student News Site of Novi High School

The Wildcat Roar

The Wildcat Roar

Pumpkin spice brews conversation

Fall+is+the+pumpkin+spice+season.+The+flavor+is+offered+at+multiple+coffee+shops.+As+well+as+scents+like+candles%2C+air+fresheners+and+many+others.+
Courtesy of Canva
Fall is the pumpkin spice season. The flavor is offered at multiple coffee shops. As well as scents like candles, air fresheners and many others.

Pumpkin spice is the popular fall drink that everyone talks about when Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and every other coffee place releases it. Pumpkin spice can be found in many different forms or products, so this leads to people either liking the flavor or hating it. 

Math teacher Lauren Russ believes the flavor craze should be delayed.

“Pumpkin spice did come out too early! ” Russ said. “To me, the start of fall is September. Coming out in August means it was still summer in my brain.”

However, French teacher Stephanie Baker disagrees about the early release.

“I think it was fine. I have to wait until it gets colder outside to enjoy it,” she said. 

Some people would rather have a scent than the actual pumpkin spice drink. It could be a taste preference or that the scent can be enjoyed for a longer time.

There are various different forms that you can get the flavor in whether that’s a candle, air freshener, or even the typical drink. So would people rather have a scent or drink?  

Sophomore Cara Tortelli prefers her pumpkin spice in non-drink form.

“Probably an air freshener, or like a candle because it lasts longer,” Tortelli said.

Baker also enjoys the flavor of other products because she says you can enjoy it for a longer time.

Enjoying something for longer makes a better use of money spent and you get to smell fall for longer.

The amount of products that now feature pumpkin spice has led to the debate on whether the flavor is overrated or not.

“Not overpriced, but overrated,” Amy Darnell said.

Russ thinks the opposite, pumpkin spice in her eyes is a bit overrated compared to others.  The idea of pumpkin spice is to have a cool fall drink but people may take it to the next level and overuse the flavor. 

“Pumpkin spice is overrated,” she said. “There are way better flavors – maple, cinnamon and chai.” 

Pumpkin spice is definitely the drink of fall and the drink everyone talks about. But is it really likable? Or do people just drink it for the aesthetic of having one?

Tortelli thinks it’s split about 50/50. 

“Some people are like, ‘OMG, I love it.’ And then some people like to do this just for the aesthetic,”  Tortelli said. 

Russ believes pumpkin spice has become a seasonal staple.

“Fall is 1000% a vibe,”  Russ said, “and I think people like the vibes; the drink is all for the vibes.” 

Given the amount of pumpkin spice products available during the fall season, will people end up missing it when fall comes to an end and we shift into winter? 

“No, because it’s in season for too long,” Darnell said. 

When does the real fall season even start? When it gets colder, the first day of fall or October? Darnell believes it would be better for the flavor to come out around October 1st. Darnell thinks it is being overused in stores, shops, or coffee places.

Baker also said nobody will miss it because you can just look forward to the Christmas drinks next month.

Russ disagrees

“People go crazy for pumpkin spice, so they will miss it,” she said.

Wrapping this up we can tell that people have various different feels when it comes to fall and pumpkin spice. Like when Russ said,  “Fall is 1000% a vibe, and I think people like the vibes; the drink is all for the vibes.” However much you really like pumpkin spice in drink or scent form it will always be the typical fall drink. So next time you go to a coffee shop look out for how many people get pumpkin spice.