College commits celebrate with ceremony

The Wildcats pride themselves on their superior athletic department and teams that have continuously proven to be a prominent force in the KLAA division.

Throughout the years, many skilled student athletes have been fortunate enough to further their careers at the college level.

Tangible commitments to a university are celebrated at ceremonies in the fall, winter and in the spring. This year’s winter college signing ceremony honored senior Josh Richardson, committed to Bluffton University for soccer, and senior Evan Budd, to Mount Union University for lacrosse. 

Richardson received an offer from Bluffton University this fall to continue his soccer and academic career as a Bluffton Beaver, and could not pass up the offer of an “…intimate soccer and academic experience,”at Bluffton University. 

Bluffton’s coaching staff, along with the promise of an intimate educational experience, stood out the most to Richardson when considering the university.

Bluffton’s “….coaches expressed the most interest in me,” said Richardson. “…And I know some of players going there in the Fall.”

Richardson, although newly committed, decided a long time ago that college soccer was for him. His long soccer career made the decision to play in college an easy one.

“I have been playing soccer for 14 years, basically all my life,” Richardson said.

“Soccer is my life…I couldn’t imagine it not being in my life.” he siad.

From playing in club soccer tournaments with Jaguars FC to finishing up his high school career this fall, Richardson looks forward to having soccer forever being a part of his life.

The Beavers of Bluffton are the perfect opportunity to “…experience soccer at a whole new level,” he said. “I can’t wait to play a whole new game of soccer.” 

The second signee, senior lacrosse and hockey player Evan Budd, received an offer to further his lacrosse and academic careers as a Mount Union Purple Raider.

“The coaches, players, and professors I’ve met really helped me to choose Mount Union [University],” Budd said.

Although Budd has been playing lacrosse since the third grade, he decided to turn lacrosse into a career this past summer

“This summer my coaches really pushed me to do better and told me I had the skill to play at the college level,” he said. “And when the Mount Union coach reached out to me, I felt that I had to make it happen.”

Out of all the colleges Budd had considered, “The Mount Union coaching staff and campus offerings appealed the most to me,” he said.

Budd’s high school and travel teammates also helped him make the jump to play on the collegiate level.

“Bonding with my teammates is my favorite part about playing,” Budd said. In “…beating Northville last year during the high school season,” was his most memorable moment in his athletic career so far.

As for his aspirations at Mount Union, Budd said, “I hope to play different and more advanced teams and make new friends.”